Our Times

Writings of Susan Ople aka Toots, columnist of Panorama Magazine and Tempo, proud mother of Estelle and 7 dogs, namely, Picasso, Monet, Suzy, Miggy, Marty, Chandler and Joey. Daughter of the late war veteran, journalist, writer, labor minister, constitutional commissioner, senator, senate president, and foreign affairs secretary Blas F. Ople aka Ka Blas.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Missing father and a poem

I was searching for a poem. I wrote it a few months after my father died. I can’t recall specific lines but it was about missing the sound of his pen on paper. I stored it in my laptop and now it’s gone. Did I delete it by mistake? Or perhaps someone who borrowed my laptop did, by accident. It’s beyond me now. A stroke which occurred in 1994 weakened my father’s left hand thus ruling out the use of a keyboard for his column writings. Since his stroke, he used a fountain pen to write his columns by long hand on standard yellow paper with a cup of brewed coffee and a pack of cigarettes by his side. I would have to look for those handwritten columns soon. I miss the sound of my father’s pen on paper. He is never coming back. Like the poem I wrote. Gone forever.

7 Comments:

At 8:28 PM, Blogger frynx said...

Hi Sis!

I know how it feels to lose a father. I can emphatize with you. To be honest, I can't erase my father's good old memories in my mind even at this point where I am thousand miles away from home.

But what can I say? I think we both are lucky to have been blest with good and wonderful fathers who had made strong impacts in our lives.

Congrats to your blog site. Hope everything is doing well with you, Estelle and 4th.

I 'll see you soon!

frynx :)

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous jher said...

hello ms. susan,

I just got to your blog through Jove Francisco's. Welcome to the blogging world, and hope to read more insightful and poignant entries from you.

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Vanie, Sannette and Riza said...

We,too, miss our very dear boss -Secretary Blas Ople. We had a great time last Holy Wednesday night at Libingan ng mga Bayani when we visited him. We shared a lot of secrets to him and made our wishes. We are very sure Sir was pleased.


Vanie, Sannette and Riza

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger ajay said...

as jher said, welcome to the blog world:) may you find in it the ultimate therapy and refuge. am glad we're now kindred souls not only in journalism but in the blogosphere too...Ajay

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger Toots Ople said...

frynx, good to see you here! pinagpala talaga tayo with remarkable parents, and a friendship that continues to endure. naks!

jher and ajay, salamat sa inyong mainit na pagtanggap sa akin sa blogosphere. i'm proud to be a mommy newbie blogger! :-)

 
At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Vanie, Sannette and Riza said...

We,too, miss our beloved boss - Sec. Blas Ople.We had a great time last Holy Wednesday night at the Libingan ng mga Bayani when we visited him. We shared a lot of secrets to him and we made our wishes.We are sure that his spirit was pleased.

Congrats Mam Toots sa blog mo.

Vanie, Sannette, Riza - DFA

 
At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Ann said...

hi tita toots! i hope you find that poem. i want to read it too :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home